Sunday, August 24, 2008

Great Egret Encounters


Great Egrets are passing through our area on their migration south. "Passing through" is a relative term as they have been hanging around for a few weeks now. They do not breed in this area and are rarely seen in the spring. I was driving by a farm field that had about a hundred Canada geese, a few horses and one Great Egret. It was hunting in a very small creek that trickled through the grass.

A few days later I saw a pair of Egrets fishing in a storm pond in a new subdivision. New houses are being built all around the area as the city sprawls outwards. Small fish were plentiful in the pond and it was interesting to watch them stalk through the shallow water.

The setting sun was very bright. It is always a challenge for me to photograph white birds and white flowers in strong light. One of the Egrets seemed to have an injured leg and was limping on the land. I could not see any obvious injury or entanglement. This short video clip demonstrates how the bird moved. I have not seen the pair since, only a single bird in the same area.

10 comments:

  1. Ruth--the last photo of egret in setting sun is wonderful. I love shooting into the sun, although you can't always predict what you will get. Thank goodness for digital cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see these pictures ... we don't have egrets here ... at least I've never seen any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome picture of the Egret in the sun. Nice reflection in the water and what a great pose.

    The Egret is certainly favoring that left foot. Sad how he had to hobble around. I hope it wasn't anything major, maybe it's just a little cut and with a few days of healing he will be in great form again. Oh I hope so, I don't like to see animals suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if egrets are in danger, but I have read that herons can be grabbed by a snapping turtle. Of course anything could have happened, but a stalking bird really needs two good feet to feed. Poor thing and such an amazing bird. Great catch Ruth..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The still photos on your video are especially colourful and lovely. And yes, it is apparent that it has a problem walking on one leg. That is too bad. Luckily they don't need to put weight on their feet to fly and hopefully it will heal.

    Great Egret's are not common in our area either but usually there are sightings reported each year. How fortunate for you to get these lovely pictures and to enjoy their presence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty and graceful bird. I also hope that the injury is minimal and that the leg heals soon. I think your photos are great Ruth, white in the sun and all. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Ruth....I was transported....poor Egret....I had a moorhen in my garden with the same symptons (we used to call him old peg leg)......unfortunately he was caught by the local fox

    I love your photography, so soft, so calming......

    tku for your comments on my blog....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! Isn't it wonderful to have an opportunity to see the birds in migration again? Fantastic photos of the Great Egret!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your comments. I do hope the bird's leg heals. I hadn't thought of a snapping turtle getting it and there are lots of them around in the swamp. I haven't seen a fox lately...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.