Sunday, November 25, 2007

I'll be Home for Christmas

God has said,
“Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you.”
So we say with confidence,
“The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.

Hebrews 13: 5,6

I was walking along the river on Saturday and passed this bench that was decorated with a seasonal wreath. The bench is inscribed and was placed along the river trail in memory of a woman I knew from our community who died an untimely death from cancer. Someone who cares for her memory put the wreath here instead of at a cemetery as the woman loved the outdoors. While the Christmas season is a happy one for many people, there are those who will be separated from family by distance, illness and death. Grandma kept a Christmas scrapbook for many years and I remember a pasted clipping on one of the pages with the words of the song below. The illustration depicted a WW 2 serviceman overseas as he was trying to decorate a palm tree with Christmas lights.

I'
m dreaming tonight
Of a place I love
Even more than I usually do.
And although I know
It's a long road back
I promise you

I'll be home for Christmas.
You can count on me.
Please have snow and mistletoe
And presents under the tree.
Christmas Eve will find me
Where the love-light gleams.
I'll be home for Christmas
If only in my dreams.


I am separated by distance from most of my own family every Christmas. The memories of others who have passed on come to mind at special times of the year. This bench reminds me to seek out someone who needs a special gift of friendship this Christmas season.

9 comments:

  1. What a nice idea - and I recognize that poem!

    The holidays get people down for those reasons. Sad... but a nice excuse to seek out someone who might be looking for company also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful thought and pictures. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:14 am GMT-5

    well, that one brought a couple of tears to my eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the black and white shot Ruth. How poignant. We indeed should remember those who can't be home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:54 pm GMT-5

    Glad you are using Grandma's Christmas scrapbook. It amazes me that coming from a disfunctional family she managed to make many scrapbooks of trips, special occasions etc and combine that with caring for a family with many guests and a busy pediatric medical practice from 1919 to 1962.
    Happy memories but they bring tears as well.
    Mexico Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth.

    Lovely. You make me think beyond my narrow concerns with shopping and decorating. Bless you.

    That last photo is stirring. Those lyrics your grandmother recorded - say it all.

    Thanks, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wreath on the bench is so wonderful. The poem reminds me of those who can't be home for Christmas and how much I miss the days of seeing my entire family on one special day.

    Thanks for a very thoughtful post.

    The lady who loved outdoors is remembered so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very powerful post. Christmas is a time when we think of loved ones who have passed on. I'm lucky to have my family near. God has blessed me in that respect and I'm very thankful for it.

    Please let me introduce you to Deena, a woman who is waiting for breast cancer surgery. To read her her posts about her journey, please follow THIS LINK

    Thanks for sharing this beautiful post.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your comments. When I came across this bench, I was very moved by the poignant message it symbolized. Love and prayers go to the many people who have experienced a recent loss and will find this Christmas difficult.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.