Wednesday, November 22, 2006

River Walk



The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hand of man. ~Author Unknown




Over the past week, the area of the hospital I work in has switched from paper charting to computer charting. The change has had an enormous impact on the staff, increasing stress, workload, and general frustration. I have had a computer for over 15 years and would classify myself as computer literate. The new charting system is very complicated to work with and I have found myself tense and achy by the end of the day.
I am accustomed to going for a walk at noon and generally take the groomed trail by the river. Yesterday, I was in great need of a diversion from the workplace and decided to follow a new path on the opposite bank of the river. It must have been created by people walking their dogs, or youngsters carrying materials to their tree house, for it was narrow and wound around the flood plain on patches of firm ground. I have seen this river in flood before a dam was built to control the spring run off, and each year large sheets of ice pile up here as the river begins to thaw. I “forgot” my watch and wandered around for over an hour, thoroughly enjoying my explorations.
When I returned to my office, I discovered my socks and shoes were covered in sticky burrs. No problem…I keep an extra pair of socks and shoes at work. The change of foot wear, and my change of attitude from the mind clearing walk gave me a more positive perspective for the rest of the day.














Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~Lao Tzu

2 comments:

  1. "Physician heal thyself".
    You are a good therapist. Your trail walking therapy is one your paternal grandfather often used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Oma...dealing with stress is so important, yet we often neglect the symptoms of it within ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.