Wednesday, November 01, 2006

November



'No sun - no moon!
No morn - no noon,
No dawn - no dusk - no proper time of day.
No warmth, no cheerfulness, no healthful ease,
No comfortable feel in any member -
No shade, no shine, no butterflies, no bees,
No fruits, no flowers, no leaves, no birds!-
November!'

I received a poetry book for Christmas from my paternal grandfather when I was nine or ten years old, shortly before he died. In true European tradition, he always gave our family a gingerbread house at the beginning of December, which was kept as a fragrant decoration until the New Year. My brothers and I would then smash and eat it, rather stale and dusty, but still tasty. But the only tangible remembrance I have of him is the poetry book, now with broken bindings and well thumbed pages. I memorized many of the lines for school, as we used to have compulsory memory work “in those days”! This traditional November poem is copied from the treasury and is so appropriate for this month here in the near north.

Check out the November edition of Festival of the Trees at Frizzy Logic


7 comments:

  1. Great little poem, although a bit dismal.

    I have a poetry book or two from a favorite aunt - they are a treasure, especially since she wrote a little note to me inside each one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Borland quote about November on your blog today is far more beautiful than this poem. As I child I liked the repetition of this poem. By the way, I looked up the Hal Borland book at Amazon.ca and it seems to be out of print. I like the samples of writing you have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting you should reflect on your paternal grandfather today - this is the month when he passed on 40 year's ago.
    The traditional gingerbread house arrived that year as well.
    Memories . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oma- I remember many details of the day he died, like what we had for dinner, because no one ate it. I didn't remember the month or year...thanks for reminding me. His was the very first death I experienced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a poetry book much truly be a treasure, almost as much as your memories of him :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Jaspenelle. I am most sentimental about books and their links with people I have known and loved.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I like the repetition too, and that it's sort of funny in a depressed way. ;-)

    Most Borland books are out of print, so I grab them up whenever I come across them in a used bookstore or online for a reasonable price.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.