Wednesday, July 19, 2006



Rhubarb

One of the pleasures of spring in our temperate climate is rhubarb. I have coaxed three clumps to grow in my garden’s less-than-ideal sandy soil.

My crop was abundant this year and we enjoyed rhubarb custard pie, rhubarb muffins, stewed rhubarb, and rhubarb chutney.

Grandma always said that you should not pick rhubarb after July 1st as it gets tough and dry in hot weather.

Last week we had a lot of rain followed by lots of sunshine, and my rhubarb demanded a late picking. So I am having rhubarb coffeecake with my tea today. Yum!

Rhubarb Coffee Cake

Prepare a 9x 13 inch pan for baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees farhenheit.
Cream together 1-1/2 cups of sugar (I use half sugar, half Splenda or Whey Low) with ½ cup of butter or margarine. Add one egg.
Sift together 2 cups of flour (I use whole wheat), ½ teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Mix wet and dry ingredients alternately with 1 cup of sour cream or plain yogurt. Add 2 cups of diced rhubarb pieces and place batter in pan. If you don't have any rhubarb, you can use peaches or apples or pears, or other fresh fruit.


Topping: ½ cup of brown or white sugar, ½ cup of chopped nuts, 1 tablespoon of melted butter, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix together and sprinkle over the batter


Bake for 45-50 minutes………………..Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. wow, that sounds delicious!!! thanx for popping by my blog and recommending your recipe. I am going to give it a try. . cuz i too just picked a late crop of rhubarb. . and though it's not as abundant as the crop earlier in the season, it looks nice. I just harvested it yesterday. . and now i'm going to use half for a pie, and half for this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.